From The Corner Of His Eye (2000)

--A thread-specific board for your reviews of each Dean Koontz novel. Post your own or read and comment on what other fans are saying. Scars and all.

Re: From The Corner Of His Eye (2000)

Postby Brittany_Lauren on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Schri, I had no idea this book was your favorite, too! :)

I'm around page 452, but I had to weigh in on this:

The artist in the novel that Junior loves so much, Sklent, is sooooo hilarious to me. I'm not sure why but Koontz's description of him just reminds me of a cartoon characterish, albino Igor or something.

Oh, and the titles of his paintings - :goodone: Oh my goodness. The Cancer Lurks Unseen, Version 1? I was seriously heehawing practically I was laughing so hard when I read that. I don't remember finding that as funny when I first read this book, but just something about Junior's convoluted ideas about art and existence make the fact that he finds that painting a "masterpiece" and paid $2700 for it just so hilarious to me. Oh, and his Poriferan Industrial Woman gets me every time, too! :giggles: And his other Sklent painting In The Baby's Brain Lies The Parasite of Doom!!! Ahahahaha! I just found these pieces of art absolute nuts, I love it. Maybe it's just my twisted and weird humor, but Koontz is absolutely priceless in this book. I also love how Junior picked up needlepoint as well and made a pillow with the Zedd quote "Humility is for losers" was GREAT! The other piece of art The Heart Is Home To Worms and Beetles, Ever Squirming, Ever Swarming, Version 3 was priceless, too! I'm not sure why but the Zedd book titled You Are The World just really had me rolling in particular.

I've enjoyed the convoluted epistemology of Junior, paired with Koontz's philosophy in this book... it just makes for some extremely entertaining reading, especially the way he sets up Junior to be an absolute psycho, yet one of the most hilarious psychos I've ever heard about because of all his mishaps. Cain's megalomania is on a level that few Koontz villains reach, which makes him stand alone in a lot of ways, yet his philosophy is right on the nose of many other villains. I don't remember laughing this hard at a villain before in my life, even in a Koontz novel. I think that's part of the reason I love so much, along with the amount of personal inspiration and insight that this novels inspires in me.

What I love so much about Junior... if you can love anything about a villain, is the fact that you don't necessarily feel threatened by the guy. He's more of a villain you laugh at rather than one you fear, with the exception of a few parts. Junior grows gradually more and more obsessive, maniacal, sick, amoral, and twisted as the novel progresses. He catches you off-guard in the beginning by his almost manic swing of being so in love with his wife one minute, then pushing her off a tower the next, only to realize later that the idea to push her was literally instantaneous rather than premeditated in his mind, like the idea to push her and get the money was just a convenience for the trouble of pushing her almost in his mind. Like the idea had always been an unconscious seed in his mind, that suddenly sprouted and took action within seconds.

You begin to see his true seared level as the novel goes on when Koontz unveils more of the philosophies of Zedd and Junior's thought processes in relation and in context with the world around him, he almost comes off as likable, until you compare him to the other normal characters in the novel, when which you realize exactly how off-balance and dangerous he really is. The part where he conspires to shoot off his own toe in order to avoid service in Vietnam is the perfect example of his level of megalomania - he sought to do the least harm to himself in order to keep himself out of greater harm's way. He cares about nothing and no one but himself, feels no regret, only violent urges born out of selfishness, megalomania, at times almost insanity, bad epistemology, and pure evil.

Another twist I found incredibly humorous was when he went to kill one of the Bartholomews with the daughter named Zelda. He lists one of his reasons is for Zelda, because he knows what it feels like to be given a less than desirable name. :giggles: He also says that he took medicine to stay vomiting and diarrhea. While the meds for these two work, he later breaks out in a horrendous case of hives, which keeps him inside his house for days. Another humor twist I love is his inexplicable and utter disdain for The Beatles just because they are foreign.
--- Britt
Brittany_Lauren
Lover of All Things Weird
Koontz-phile

Postby Schrijvertje on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:35 am

Brittany_Lauren wrote:Schri, I had no idea this book was your favorite, too! :)

You didn't? Thought I told you about that. Remember me to do that next time :winkwink:

Great post about Junior.
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Last read: "Wool" by Hugh Howey
Now reading: "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski (40%)
Next up: "The Shock of the Fall" by Nathan Filer
Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Highscores: 1
Medals: 7
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1)
1st Posted Title (1) 1st Posted Synopsis (2) I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby dnurse on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:52 am

That post of Brittainy's brought many things back about Junior. One other thing that stands out was when he licked that spoon the nurse gave him. Yuck.

I read that Koontz does not like to glamourize villains and he does not. Junior is a great example.
I am inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with darkbound Snow and Odd adventures.
dnurse
Guru

Medals: 3
Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 2 (1) Koontz Interview Post Level 1 (1)

Postby Brittany_Lauren on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks, Schri. I read your review as well... and, as usual, it was exquisite, my friend! :yeahyeah:

Junior's definitely not glamorized in this book hehe. But I definitely feel no pity for him whatsoever.
--- Britt
Brittany_Lauren
Koontz-phile

Postby Brittany_Lauren on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 pm

dnurse wrote:One other thing that stands out was when he licked that spoon the nurse gave him. Yuck.

This is a prime example! That part was so funny to me. I just love how he always thinks the women are always all over him :giggles: When Koontz writes Cain in the beginning, he just doesn't come across as a mad man... and at first when I first read FTCOHE, I honestly initially thought that the nurse was coming on to him since the chapters are written from Junior's perspective. That was just brilliant writing there, Koontz holds off revealing the true, real nature of Junior for a while... for me at first it was nearly until halfway through the book until I realized exactly what I was dealing with.

I read the Bartholomew chapters last night about when he had to have the eye surgery for the cancer... I was absolutely sobbing. Maybe death and mortality in relation to my own experiences right now is just what gets me. Whenever Agnes told him that God was always watching from the corner of His eye, I just lost it. Good thing I bought a three pack of tissues at Wally World last week, because I put those puppies to good use last night! Whew.

I'm not sure what it is, but lately every time I read a chapter or think about God and how He is there for everyone, I just absolutely lose it and start crying. I'm not sure what this means, but it holds some sort of significance for me. I've just really leaned a lot on my own personal faith in the past few weeks a lot more and the thought of God moves me like it never has before. I also find myself talking to God a lot more, too. Almost to the point where I don't even realize what I'm doing... I just start talking and only become consciously aware of it after I've started doing it. (Not audibly, but in my mind.) In recent months, I've questioned my faith sooo many times, and every time, I feel this internal assurance that everything will be okay, and that alone moves me to an emotional state. I'm just becoming old, sentimental, and weepy I guess. :giggles:
--- Britt
Brittany_Lauren
Koontz-phile

Postby Schrijvertje on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 am

Better buy another tissue pack for "The Face" then.

I think it's normal to question faith. We all do that, and more than once. But then when we take a good look at the details of the fabric of our lives, I think that deep inside we do feel the answer.
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Last read: "Wool" by Hugh Howey
Now reading: "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski (40%)
Next up: "The Shock of the Fall" by Nathan Filer
Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Highscores: 1
Medals: 7
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1)
1st Posted Title (1) 1st Posted Synopsis (2) I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby dnurse on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 am

God feelings are nice Brittany. I like that feeling of reassurance too.

I kind of was leary of Junior after the lookout tower myself, thought he might be a little suspect in thought processes after that. I had to read the scene twice of course.
I am inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with darkbound Snow and Odd adventures.
dnurse
Guru

Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 2 (1) Koontz Interview Post Level 1 (1)

Postby kokoschka on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:25 pm

I always wondered where the title for this book came from and I've just seen it on page 521. Barty is about to have his operation and wants to know if God is watching.

I haven't read this thread yet so I'm looking forward to doing so when I finish.
Sometimes there is no darker place than our own thoughts: the moonless midnight of the mind.

What will you find behind the door that is one door away from Heaven?
kokoschka
Koontz fan since 1988.
Koontz-phile

Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 3 (1) Newbie Mentor Level 1 (1)

Postby dnurse on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I've also noticed that DK uses the phrase "from the corner of his eye" in many other books too since I read the book.It's a common phrase that now stands out for me. I like to find the title of the book when I'm reading and check out the significance too.
dnurse
Guru

Postby masha99 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:33 pm

kokoschka wrote:I always wondered where the title for this book came from and I've just seen it on page 521. Barty is about to have his operation and wants to know if God is watching.

I loved that part so much, it's what made the book for me. That, and the quantum physics multiple-universe part.

When my husband read it, he said it's almost like a religious tract in many ways.
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent.
Hope is not a strategy.
-Terry Goodkind
masha99
Koontz-phile

Medals: 1
Koontz Interview Post Level 3 (1)

PreviousNext

Return to DARK REVIEWS OF THE HEART