The City (July 1, 2014)

--Message Board for all discussions about Dean Koontz, his books, and all Koontz-related material. Read Koontz Instead.

The City (July 1, 2014)

Postby Nemesis0 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Amazon has this listed as a new Dean Koontz hardcover coming in July.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Novel-Dean-Koontz/dp/0345545931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383688166&sr=1-1&keywords=dean+koontz

Synopsis on the page:

There are millions of stories in the city—some magical, some tragic, others terror-filled or triumphant. Jonah Kirk’s story is all of those things as he draws readers into his life in the city as a young boy, introducing his indomitable grandfather, also a “piano man”; his single mother, a struggling singer; and the heroes, villains, and everyday saints and sinners who make up the fabric of the metropolis in which they live—and who will change the course of Jonah’s life forever. Welcome to The City, a place of evergreen dreams where enchantment and malice entwine, where courage and honor are found in the most unexpected corners and the way forward lies buried deep inside the heart.
Nemesis0
Guru

Highscores: 24
Medals: 16
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 1st Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 1 (1) 1st Posted Title (1)
1st Posted Cover (2) 1st Posted Release Date (4) WhiteWolf's Order of Merit (1)

Re: The City (July 8, 2014)

Postby Schrijvertje on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Cool. I don't know why but this synopsis makes me think of FTCOHE. It feels like some "intertwining" kind of story. At first it sounded like a rather bland title, but I like the concept. Sounds a bit straightforward contemporary than particularly Koontz, might be interesting that way.
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Last read: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier
Now reading: "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness" by Arundhati Roy (20%)
Next up: "Hex" by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Highscores: 1
Medals: 8
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 1st Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) 1st Posted Title (1) 1st Posted Synopsis (2)
I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby youcannotsee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 am

They are saying koontz is at the peak of his powers with this book.
The boy in the story is a Gifted musician.
Could be quite good and interesting.
youcannotsee

Postby Nemesis0 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:16 am

youcannotsee wrote:They are saying koontz is at the peak of his powers with this book.

Hopefully that's the case.
Nemesis0
Guru

Highscores: 24
Medals: 16
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 1st Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 1 (1) 1st Posted Title (1)
1st Posted Cover (2) 1st Posted Release Date (4) WhiteWolf's Order of Merit (1)

Postby brotheroddkins on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Here is the cover of the book. It looks too similar to the cover of Innocence.

Currently Reading: The Magic Engineer & Princeps by L. E. Modeitt, Jr.
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

Medals: 1
1st Posted Title (1)

Postby WhiteWolf on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 am

That's not a bad thing. Both of these covers are light years better than the recent US covers for Koontz books.

I also like the fact that Koontz is writing a book in an urban environment. He has not done that very much at all in the last decade or so.
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Postby brotheroddkins on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 am

I can't think of many books of his that take place in an urban setting. Now, he has two coming out back-to-back.
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

1st Posted Title (1)

Postby Schrijvertje on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:44 am

Completely in an urban setting? His earlier books. "The Face of Fear" takes place mostly in the same highrise. Many novels take place in the city of L.A. or some suburb (I remember seeing the name Laguna Beach show up often so I thought that's where he must live himself). "The Vision", "Whispers", "The Voice of the Night", "The Mask", "Servants of Twilight", "Darkfall", "Hideaway", "Dragon Tears", "Tick Tock". The first Frankenstein books take place in New Orleans. Sometimes they start of in the city but then the scene switches to some rural location. "Winter Moon", "Mr Murder", "Dark Rivers of the Heart", "The Eyes of Darkness" (that one's in Vegas), "Shadowfires", "Strangers" (might be a stretch).

Just off the top of my head of course, correct me if I'm wrong.
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Last read: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier
Now reading: "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness" by Arundhati Roy (20%)
Next up: "Hex" by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Highscores: 1
Medals: 8
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 1st Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) 1st Posted Title (1) 1st Posted Synopsis (2)
I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby brotheroddkins on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:04 am

Schrijvertje wrote:Completely in an urban setting? His earlier books. "The Face of Fear" takes place mostly in the same highrise. Many novels take place in the city of L.A. or some suburb (I remember seeing the name Laguna Beach show up often so I thought that's where he must live himself). "The Vision", "Whispers", "The Voice of the Night", "The Mask", "Servants of Twilight", "Darkfall", "Hideaway", "Dragon Tears", "Tick Tock". The first Frankenstein books take place in New Orleans. Sometimes they start of in the city but then the scene switches to some rural location. "Winter Moon", "Mr Murder", "Dark Rivers of the Heart", "The Eyes of Darkness" (that one's in Vegas), "Shadowfires", "Strangers" (might be a stretch).

Just off the top of my head of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought The Mask primarily took place in the suburbs (I don't consider the burbs the city for some reason). Darkfall is a small town I believe. The rest I believe were urban settings. 77 Shadow Street I guess would also be an urban setting even though it takes place in an apartment building. I of course could be wrong about this also. Koontz lives in Newport Beach, California.
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

1st Posted Title (1)

Postby WhiteWolf on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 am

About a hundred pages into reading INNOCENCE and it seems to me this book could easily have been called THE CITY as well.

For a guy who doesn't seem to have spent a whole lot of time in large urban areas, Koontz writes about them remarkably well. I know, I know: Shocker!
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Next

Return to THE GREAT GUY