THE SILENT CORNER - first in the "Jane Hawk" series

--Message Board for all discussions about Dean Koontz, his books, and all Koontz-related material. Read Koontz Instead.

Re: "The Silent Corner" - first in the "Jane Hawk" series

Postby WhiteWolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:10 am

That's just freaking cool. I am very jealous. :twitcheyes:

I'm okay with another series. As long as there aren't too many books, and it doesn't drag on and on and on. A nicely planned trilogy can be a good thing.
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Postby Schrijvertje on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm actually more of a fan of his supernatural books than his near-horizon technology ones. That's actually a new term for me, near-horizon. It tickles me that Koontz himself actually teaches me some new English here, lol!

So as I understand it, it's going to be be something more in the vein of "77 Shadow Street", and the Frankenstein books? Science gone awry?

I'm wondering about the Jane Hawk character too. All the websites still link Ivy Elgin to "The Silent Corner". Perhaps he renamed the character, made it a new one? I really have more questions than before right now, lol!

Thanks for the new medal btw, WW!
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Last read: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier
Now reading: "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness" by Arundhati Roy (20%)
Next up: "Hex" by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Highscores: 1
Medals: 8
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 1st Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) 1st Posted Title (1) 1st Posted Synopsis (2)
I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby dnurse on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you for the update. That was so cool about Dean's response to your letter!
I am inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with darkbound Snow and Odd adventures.
dnurse
Guru

Medals: 4
Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 1 (1) Koontz Research Level 2 (1)
Koontz Interview Post Level 1 (1)

Postby Schrijvertje on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

New Amazon release date for "The Silent Corner" is June 29th, 2017.

What? No winter book?! Here comes rehab ...

Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 1st Degree (1)
I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby WhiteWolf on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Could be part of his ongoing shift to write books that are a little different from the ones of the past decade and a half or more; longer books, with more complex plots, more characters, more introspection and slow burn, as opposed to the fast-paced thrillers that are over in under 300 pages. It's a change I am happy about, assuming this series will continue along the same vein.
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Postby Schrijvertje on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:04 pm

New synopsis on Amazon, with a June 6 release date:

“I very much need to be dead.”

These are the chilling words left behind by a man who had everything to live for—but took his own life. In the void that remains stands his widow, surrounded by questions destined to go unanswered unless she does what all the grief, fear, confusion, and fury inside her demand: Find the truth, no matter what.

There is no one else to speak for him—or the others who have followed him into death at their own hands. Though people of talent and accomplishment, people admired and seemingly happy and sound of mind, have recently been committing suicide in surprising numbers, no one else is willing to give up everything just to seek, to find, to know. No one except her. But ahead lies only risk. Because those arrayed against her are legion, and dangerously devoted to protecting something profoundly important—or terrifying—enough to exterminate any and all in their way.

Too many have already died, and those responsible will learn that all their malevolent power may not be enough to stop a woman as clever as they are cold-blooded, as relentless as they are ruthless—and who is driven by a righteous rage they can never comprehend. Because it is born of love.

So ... going from the letter Koontz sent me, that widow should be Jane Hawk. This synopsis really sounds like something completely different than how we have come to know Koontz. Though from a distance it reminds me a bit of "Sole Survivor".

Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby Nemesis0 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Nemesis0
Guru

Highscores: 24
Medals: 16
Koontz News Post 3rd Degree (1) Koontz News Post 2nd Degree (1) Koontz Link Post 2nd Degree (1)
Koontz Link Post 1st Degree (1) Koontz Research Level 1 (1) 1st Posted Title (1)
1st Posted Cover (2) 1st Posted Release Date (4) WhiteWolf's Order of Merit (1)

Postby Schrijvertje on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:44 pm

And suddenly a lot more info on Koontz's website, including the title of the second book in this series: "The Whispering Room"!

Once in a while, a character comes so alive so quickly and with such an edge that I almost feel as if I’ve actually met this person. It often follows that if the character has such an edge, the story moves like an express train, because a character with an edge has surprises up his or her sleeve that I can’t foresee but that I’m delighted to discover in one twist after another.

When I started THE SILENT CORNER, I didn’t know what a rocket-propelled roller coaster I had just boarded. Jane Hawk, the lead of the story, is an FBI agent on leave, who quickly becomes an FBI agent gone rogue——at least in the eyes of the agency. She is 27, incredibly tough, wonderfully smart, and surprisingly tender. The story involves no supernatural element, but it has what I’d call a scientific premise in the Michael Crichton tradition, something that is not futuristic but here now in an early form with a terrible potential. While I knew that the premise would provide for a scary and exciting story, I didn’t realize just how scary and exciting until I began to explore it fully in THE SILENT CORNER.

When Jane becomes the most wanted fugitive in the country, which she is as the story opens, she is not able to use planes, trains, or buses because the security cameras in those venues can be so easily married to facial-recognition software. She cannot drive a vehicle with a GPS, have a laptop, or use a smartphone. She is so intensely hunted that she must be off the grid in a way that no one ever is——not even those very committed preppers of reality-TV fame——and yet must be able to use the Internet and travel freely and get at a series of well-protected people to wring them dry of what information they have. And she must be willing to do and endure whatever it takes to survive.

I had so much fun with Jane that I knew at the end of THE SILENT CORNER that I had only begun to peel the layers of this fascinating character. I have now finished the second book with her, THE WHISPERING ROOM, and I had even more fun with this one. What Jane has to face this time is beyond daunting, beyond just terrifying, and had me anxiety breathing through the last half of the book. Elsa, our dog, had to calm me by giving me belly rubs, a rather embarrassing role reversal.

I will have finished a third Jane Hawk before the first is published in June 2017, and I feel renewed as a writer, as frisky as ever I was when I was much younger. (And I was pretty darn frisky. In fact, I once won the Friskiest Writer of the Year Award three years running.) Anyway, I owe this new friskiness to you, faithful readers, because your continued support and snail mail (all of which I read, though I can’t read all the email because of the volume) energizes and motivates me.

Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Postby brotheroddkins on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:44 am

I wonder what happened to the book called Joanna Moon, which he talked about in an interview. It's also interesting he has no 2016 release. Excited about this new series, though.
Currently Reading: The Magic Engineer & Princeps by L. E. Modeitt, Jr.
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

Medals: 1
1st Posted Title (1)

Postby Schrijvertje on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:15 pm

And the cover on Amazon:

Don't know if this is the real cover. Looks pretty unimaginative to me. So okay, it's a corner. Two walls and the ceiling. Mm.

Schrijvertje
Koontz-phile

I've Read 'Em All! (1)

Next

Return to THE GREAT GUY