The Whispering Room: A Jane Hawk Novel

--Message Board for all discussions about Dean Koontz, his books, and all Koontz-related material. Read Koontz Instead.

The Whispering Room: A Jane Hawk Novel

Postby brotheroddkins on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 am

Amazon now has the second Jane Hawk book: The Whispering Room listed. It has a release date of January 9, 2018. Here is the cover and the synopsis which I have put in spoilers because I'm not sure how much of it might spoil book one.

Synopsis:
Jane Hawk—fiction’s most relentless, resourceful, stunning new heroine—continues her battle against a murderous conspiracy in the riveting sequel to The Silent Corner.

“No time to delay. Do what you were born to do. Fame will be yours when you do this.”

These are the words that ring in the mind of mild-mannered, beloved schoolteacher Cora Gundersun—just before she takes her own life, and many others’, in a shocking act of carnage. When the disturbing contents of her secret journal are discovered, it seems certain that she must have been insane. But Jane Hawk knows better.

In the wake of her husband’s inexplicable suicide—and the equally mysterious deaths of scores of other exemplary individuals—Jane picks up the trail of a secret cabal of powerful players who think themselves above the law and beyond punishment. But these ruthless people bent on hijacking America’s future for their own monstrous ends never banked on a highly trained FBI agent willing to go rogue—and become the nation’s most wanted fugitive—in order to derail their insidious plans to gain absolute power with a terrifying technological breakthrough.

Driven by love for her lost husband and by fear for the five-year-old son she has sent into hiding, Jane Hawk has become an unstoppable predator. Those she is hunting will have nowhere to run when her shadow falls across them.
Currently Reading: The Measure of the Magic (Legends of Shannara-Book Two) by Terry Brooks
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

Medals: 1
1st Posted Title (1)

Re: The Whispering Room: A Jane Hawk Novel

Postby WhiteWolf on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:42 am

You get a medal. You could get four, technically, for first posted title, cover, synopsis and release date, but that's not how medals usually work. It just means no one else can get any of those for this book. Anyway, good job, and thanks for posting this!

My quick reaction:

Wow! So soon after THE SILENT CORNER and everything. This might have something to do with the longer interval between books after ASHLEY BELL, as Koontz went ahead and wrote three successive novels before the first one gets published (this is just a guess), to fully develop the character and the continuity of the story arc. That's exciting. Equally exciting is that there is a cohesive story to the series, rather than the episodic nature of the Odd Thomas books, the Jane Hawk story will follow her progression along a more traditional trilogy. I like that a lot and look forward to it. There is also continuity in the titles ("silent" and "whispering" being sound-related adjectives and "corner" and "room" being place-specific nouns), as well as the cover designs.

This is great, having something to look forward to after the first book but even before the first book is published.

Very exciting! :hellyeah!:
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Postby brotheroddkins on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks whitewolf! Yeah, the time lapse was also my thought on why they are releasing them about 6 months apart. The only thing is I thought it was going to be trilogy also but recently he said that he had started writing book 4 and thought it could go up to 6 books. But we'll have to see. I'm excited about this series but also wondering what happen to the Ivy Elgin trilogy he was working on.
Currently Reading: The Measure of the Magic (Legends of Shannara-Book Two) by Terry Brooks
brotheroddkins
Big-Time Fan

Medals: 1
1st Posted Title (1)

Postby WhiteWolf on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Well, we are starting to get an idea of how these things work for Koontz. Odd Thomas sort of "appeared" to Koontz while he was writing THE FACE, and then the Odd books sort of subsumed the Christopher Snow books. At least, I think that might be what happened. He rarely wrote any 1st person narrative books previous to FEAR NOTHING and SEIZE THE NIGHT (TWILIGHT EYES being the major exception), and then after running into various problems with RIDE THE STORM he went away and wrote more 3rd person books. When Odd came front and center, a lot of us were concerned that Odd had sort of taken the wind of the sails of Koontz's 1st person voice, leaving Snow on the cutting room floor, as it were.

Having not read THE SILENT CORNER yet, this is all speculation, but I'm willing to bet that Ivy Elgin was sidelined in the same way Christopher Snow was pushed aside while Odd Thomas took center stage. I could be wrong, and Koontz could have a very good plan for all of this, but I bet not. I'm pretty sure he is the kind of writer to just writes the stories that pressure him the most to be written, and other things lose priority.

But it's all conjecture. Something tells me that Jane Hawk took the reigns away from Ivy the same way Odd did to Christopher Snow. But who knows? I'm just looking forward to the Jane Hawk books for now.
:coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock: :coffee: :shamrock:
WhiteWolf
Climate Change Denier
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 8

Return to THE GREAT GUY